Monday, November 16, 2009

Diwali at Darden!

Growing up in a cosmopolitan city/country, one of the values that I have always felt really proud of is tolerance and participation in others' beliefs. At Darden, I've been able to experience the same value being embraced but on an international scale.

Last month India celebrated Diwali, the biggest Hindu festival of the country. The Asian Business Club at Darden, which represents students from all Asian countries, decided to celebrate Diwali on campus. The Pepsico forum was decorated, people showed up in plenty, and traditional indian food was served at First Coffee. The Indians wore their traditional dresses but so did quite a few non-Indians. Associate Deans Robert Carraway and Peter Rodriguez wore kurtas and lit up the Diwali lamps/diyas. 95% of the Indians on campus are Hindus and yet I, a non-Hindu, was asked to give the Diwali address. How else could diversity and inclusion be exemplified better?

It was a great event that showcased a culture, educated people and fostered acceptance. This is why I have totally enjoyed my time at Darden, it is a true community.




No comments: